Simon 'Ginger' McCance's restaurant, set in two dining rooms, has a strong following, and offers well-cooked food at modest prices.
The menu has its favourites, plus seasonal changes, but a late summer snapshot listed 'Salad of Chorizo, Baby Pots, Roast Peppers, Pesto & Mozzarella'; Fried Squid with Homemade Sweet Chili Dip'; 'Sautéed Scallops with Crisp Black Pudding & Chorizo Butter' and 'Cumin Fried Chicken with Wilted Carrot, Baby Gem, Caramelised Lemon Dressing & Thai Mayo' among the starters.
'Puff Pastry Pie with Marinated Cherry Tomatoes, Rocket & Goats Cheese, served with Parsnip Chips'; 'Indian-Seasoned Monkfish with Mint & Lime Couscous, Spiced Tomato Chutney'; 'Sirloin Steak with Cep Jus, Stilton Cheese, French Fried Onions & Chips' and Roast Fillet of Hake with a Warm Salad of Lemon potatoes & Green Beans, with Sun Blushed Tomato, Olive Dressing & Seared Scallops' listed among the mains.
Specials are listed on a blackboard.
You might be tempted by 'Crème Brulée with Raspberry Compote'; 'Individual Soft-Centred Chocolate Cake with Berries, Chocolate Sauce & Fresh Cream' or 'Local Strawberry & Chocolate Trifle with Crispy Meringue' if you still have room.
Friendly, helpful service.
- Food Style: Bistro
- Lunch: Tues-Sat 12.00-15.00; mains £9 to £14
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 17.00-21.30 (Mon 21.00, Fri £ Sat 22.00); pre-theatre mains Mon-Fri 17.00-18.45 £9 to £14; then mains £14 to £23
- Seats: 70
- Wine: a concise and modestly-priced list travels the world
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: Sun, 25th & 26th Dec, May Day, Easter Monday
- Air conditioned