A good gastro-pub specialising in locally-produced seasonal food & the islands seafood in particular.
Starters such as 'Crispy Salt & Pepper Prawns with Asian Salad & Sweet Chili Aioli'; 'Crisp Marinated Plum Tomato Tart with melting Goats Cheese, Tapenade & Pesto Sauce' and 'Smoked Meat Antipasti with Crispy Goats Cheese Fritters, home-made Houmus and Honey & Mustard Dressing' set the style.
Perhaps to be followed by the likes of 'Fish & Seafood Pie with Peas, Spinach & Smoked Fish Sauce'; 'Roast Fillet of Sea Bass with a Lobster & Wild Mushroom Risotto & Shellfish Sauce'; 'Homemade Steak Burger with Smokey Bacon, Jersey Cheddar, House Sauce & Chunky Chips' and 'Tempura Catch of the Day with Chunky Chips, Pea Purée & Tartare Sauce' listed in the concise, but daily-changing menu.
Desserts also have good reports and might include 'Divine Chocolate Fudge Cake with Orange & Vanilla Cream with Milk Chocolate Sauce'; 'Lemon Meringue Tart with Warm Winter Fruits & Raspberry Sauce' and 'Banoffee Cheesecake with Homemade Rum Raisin Ice Cream'.
The set menus offer particularly-good-value.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Tues-Sat, set L £12.50 (2 courses), £14.50 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Mon-Sat, set D Mon-Fri £15 (2 courses), £18 (3 courses); mains about £12 to £23
- Wine: a concise, but well chosen, list travels the world & has modest mark-ups.
- Directions: See the map on this page