This good foodie pub is let down by its lack of space and seating arrangements - which largely consist of small round tables and low padded stools.
While this is satisfactory for perhaps one course, it's not one that encourages extended dining.
One of our lady inspectors, whilst enjoying the food, noted she was the only female customer!
It just strikes us that they could make a more relaxing area to show off the kitchen's undoubted talents and careful food sourcing.
A basic laminated menu offers dishes ranging from Sandwiches (made with excellent bread) and Salads - such as 'Baked Camembert' and 'Greek' through Homemade Burgers & Organic Steaks to 'Fish & Chips' and 'Beef or Vegetarian Chilli'.
The daily-changing blackboards add further interest - a summer snapshot bringing 'Fish Stew with Red Mullet, Mussels & Tiger Prawns'; 'Lamb Kofte' and 'Sea Bass with Sautée Potatoes and Naval Orange Sauce', among the offerings.
A few good puds are there to tempt you at the end.
Service is both friendly and helpful.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.00-20.30, Sat 12.00-19.00, Sun 12.00-18.00; from about £8 to £15
- Dinner: Mon-Fri 12.00-20.30, Sat 12.00-19.00, Sun 12.00-18.00; from about £8 to £15
- Wine: a concise list has modest mark-ups
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but interior space could be a problem
- Nearest station: Brighton Rail
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Outside eating