After hours access this excellent centre of food via Cateaton Street. You'll find a modern dining room with marvellous views over the city - excentuated by the buildings large windows.
Chef Stuart Thomson head a kitchen team that have build up an excellent source of largely local suppliers, and seasonal British food given a modern twist is the name of the game.
A choice of mix and match set menus operate - making it easy to match your appetite.
A late Spring menu listed 'Manx Scallops with Saffron Risotto & Pickled Trompettes'; 'Rabbit Ravioli with Black Pudding, Carrot & Rabbit Ham'; Cheshire Beef Tartare with Langoustines & Ginger' and 'Butternut Squash Soup with Sage Gnocchi & Beetroot' among the starters.
'Slow-Cooked Beef, with Saddle of Rabbit Wrapped in Parma Ham and Choucroute'; 'Goosnargh Duck with Celeriac Pithivier & Pickled Red Cabbage'; 'Cheshire Lamb with a Herb Crumb and Carrot & Cumin Fondant' and 'Silver Mullet with Bulgar Wheat & Carrot Fondant' listed amongst the mains.
Desserts, such as ' Apple Tart Tatin with Goats Cheese Ice Cream' and 'Bitter Chocolate Pavé with Pistachios & Caramel Ice Cream' might be at hand to tempt those with a sweet tooth - whilst cheese lovers should be impressed by their selection of British farmhouse varieties.
Whilst service is formal, and generally good, staff don't always know what they're serving - a recent inspection meal of Ox Cheek was described as being Ox Tail on delivery.
A popular all day brasserie, offers lighter meals in modern surroundings - whilst an attached bar is a perfect place to meet friends.
No mobile phones.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-15.00; Sun 12.00-16.00; set L from £25 (2 courses); Tasting Menu £55; Afternoon Tea 15.00-17.00 (from £14.50)
- Dinner: Tues-Sat 18.00-21.30; set D from £32 (2 courses) to £40; (Menu Gourmand)
- Seats: 35
- Wine: an impressive list largely echos the wines sold in their top class wine shop on-site. Some offer particularly-good-value.
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Manchester Piccadilly
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: D Sun & Mon
- Air conditioned