If you're staying at this impressive hotel, or just visiting, this dining room with carvings by master carver Grinling Gibbons is bound to impress.
The kitchen produces serious food with French roots.
Starters such as 'Carpaccio of Squab Pigeon with Plum Purée & Liquorice Foam'; 'John Dory with Baby Squid, Fennel Salad & Pistachio Sauce' and 'Ham Hock & Foie Gras Terrine with Apple & Grape Chutney & Port Reduction' set the style.
Main courses such as 'Wild Halibut with Caramelised Cauliflower, Baby Capers & Capers'; 'Roast Loin of Pork with Confit Belly and Braised Cheek with Butternut Squash & Pearl Barley'; 'Sous Vide Fillet of Beef with Parsley Risotto, Garlic Purée & Red Wine Sauce' and 'Ravioli of Artichoke & Baby Spinach, Wild Mushroom & Parmesan Salad' might follow.
Those with a sweet tooth might be tempted by their 'Chocolate Assiette - brulée tart, fondant, mousse & sorbet'; 'Lemon Meringue with Lemon Sorbet' or 'Passion Fruit Tart with Passion Fruit Sorbet' ; while their selection of cheeses is impressive.
Service is professional, helpful and friendly.
- Food Style: Modern French
- Lunch: all week, 12.00-14.00; set L Mon-Sat £18.50 (2 courses), £23.50 (3 courses); set L Sun £27.50 (3 courses)
- Dinner: all week, 19.00-21.30; mains about £19 to £30; set D Weds-Sat £46.50 (3 courses), Tasting menu £75
- Seats: 70 (plus 40 outside)
- Wine: a serious list , but don't expect bargains
- Children's portions: High Tea offered for Children
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Melton Mowbray Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Outside eating
- Rooms available