Winner of The Gourmet Britain "Best Café/Budget Restaurant" Award 2012If a traditional French bistro is your type of thing (and we'll happily admit it's ours), here's a good one set over two floors- with all closely-packed tables and expected decorational trappings. It's also family-run which shows in their approach.
All is made on-site, from breads to sauces, from natural ingredients.
Expect the likes of 'Pan-Fried Mustard Chicken Livers on Potato Pancake'; 'Grilled Mussels with Pernod & Garlic Butter'; 'Smoked Paprika Aubergine with Tomato, Feta Cheese, Mint & Parsley Salad' and 'Pan-Fried Foie Gras with Caramelised Apple on Warm Brioche' among the starters.
Perhaps 'Rib Eye Steak with Bearnaise Sauce'; 'Fillet of Sea Bass with Mussel Risotto'; 'Treacle-Glazed Duck Magret with Campari Sauce & Gratin Dauphinois' and 'Boeuf Bourguignon' listed amonst the mains.
Finish with likes of 'Chocolate Mousse'; 'Crème Brulée' or 'Sticky Toffee Pudding'.
Service is both friendly and helpful.
- Food Style: Bistro
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-15.30, Sun 12.00-22.30; set L from £14.90 (2 courses)
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 17.00-22.30, Sun 12.00-22.30; set D from £25.90 (2 courses); mains £19.90
- Wine: a concise, but well-chosen, list kicks off at around the £16 mark
- Wheelchair access: ground floor only
- Nearest station: Holborn or Tottenham Court Road Underground
- Directions: See the map on this this page