« back to restaurants search results
Bistro 1 Covent Garden33 Southampton Street, London, London, WC2E 7HE
This bistro, part of a small chain, has been compared to flying Easyjet - in that it's a great restaurant for those dining on a budget - but don't expect any great shakes. Because of its almost unbelievable pricing and proximity to Covent Garden, expect a mixture tourists and regulars.
The menu has plenty of interesting dishes on offer, such as 'Deep-Fried Calamari with Garlic Mayonnaise & Salad'; 'Smoked Duck Tossed with Salad with Mixed Berry Coulis'; 'Feta Cheese Salad with Cherry Tomatoes, Basil & Olive Oil Dressing' and a 'Mixed Meze - with houmus, falfel, tzatsiki, kisir, pilaki, dolma & cheese borek' among the starters.
Perhaps 'Chargrilled Lamb Shish Kebab with Rice & Salad'; 'Boeuf Bourguignon'; 'Fillet of Sea Bream, Topped with Smoked Salmon & Saffron Cream with Mashed Potato' and 'Pancake Filled with Goats Cheese & Creamed Spinach' listed amongst the mains. Full use is made of the grill.
Desserts aren't forgotten and are home-made - with maybe 'Tiramisu'; 'Tart Tatin' and 'Crème Brulée' on offer.
Service is generally helpful and friendly.
- Food Style: Bistro
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-23.00, Sun 12.00-22.00; set L £7.90 (2 courses), £9.90 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 12.00-23.00, Sun 12.00-22.00; set D £10.90 (2 courses), £12.90 (3 courses)
- Wine: a concise list should have all the bases covered, again with very modest mark-ups.
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Covent Garden Underground
- Directions: See the map at the top of this page