A deservedly-popular American-style Jewish deli, based on those to be found on the Lower East Side in New York. It's under the same ownership of Polpo (q.v.)
Expect the minimum of décor, with bare tables, industrial ducting & distressed brick walls.
On the food front, this is not kosher, but includes the likes of 'Chicken Matzo Ball Soup'; 'Chopped Chicken Liver & Schmaltzed Radish with Toast'; 'Pickled Herrings & Beets Tartare' and 'Beef Corn Dogs & Cranberry Ketchup' amongst the starters/small plates.
Perhaps 'Kippers on Toast with Poached Egg'; 'Macaroni Cheese'; 'Goats' Cheese with Mushroom & Black Cabbage Knish' and Burgers - for those with a larger appetite.
There are also a selection of Sandwiches - such as 'Salt Beef'; 'Reuben on Rye' and 'Toasted Pastrami with Sauerkraut, Russian Dressing, Swiss Cheese'.
There are a few puds, such as 'Warm Cinnamon Donuts'; 'Baked Cheesecake' and 'Rhubarb & Apple Strudel'.
Friendly, helpful service.
- Food Style: American
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 11.00-23.30, Sun 12.00-22.30; set L 11.00-18.00 £12.50 (2 courses), £16 (3 courses); mains about £8 to £13
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 11.00-23.30, Sun 12.00-22.30; set D 21.45-23.00 £12.50 (2 courses), £16 (3 courses); mains about £8 to £13
- Wine: a very concise list kicks off at around £20, but they also offer a selection of interesting cocktails
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Covent Garden Rail
- Directions: See the map at the top of this page