Find this cosy pub in the lee of the Downs, on the old Neolithic road between Lewes and Ditchling, and close to Plumpton Agricultural College.
It has slowly evolved over the last few years, from a simple village local, to a all-day destination foodie pub - although main meals are confined to lunch and supper.
Expect a mish-mash of small rooms, a scattering of open fires and bare wooden tables - giving the whole a rustic feel.
On the food front, all is carefully sourced - local seasonal produce being much to the fore.
A winter snapshot brought 'Potted Kipper'; 'Poached Hen's Egg with Black Pudding, Bacon & Cauliflower Purée'; 'Chorizo Sausage & Mussel Stew with Potato, Spinach & Tomato' and 'Butterbean & Chickpea Falafel with Salad & Houmous' amongst the starters.
'Course Pork & Watercress Sausages, Mash, Vegetables & Onion Gravy'; 'Fish Pie'; 'Roast Whole Partridge with Wild Mushroom Potato Dumplings & Butternut Purée'; 'Pan-Fried Liver & Bacon with Mash & Onion Gravy'; 'Aubergine & Spinach Tart with Sweet Potato Chips, Cucumber & Mint' - plus a selection of Dry-Aged Steaks and Daily-Changing Fish from the local boats listed in the mains.
Puds are tempting with possibly 'Apple Crumble with Vanilla Custard' and 'Bitter Chocolate Torte with Orange Ice Cream' on offer - while those with a more savoury tooth are offered a selection of British Artisan Cheeses.
Friendly & helpful service.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-21.00 (ciabatta-filled breads 15.00-18.00), Sun 12.00-18.00; set L Mon-Fri £11 (2 courses), £13 (3 courses); mains between about £8 to £12
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 12.00-21.00, Sun 12.00-18.00; mains between about £12 to £27
- Wine: a concise, but well-chosen, list kicks off at about the £13 mark
- Children's portions: Children's Menu £6 (2 courses)
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but there are a few steps
- Nearest station: Plumpton Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes, to rear
- Closed: check Christmas opening
- Outside eating