Find this popular restaurant, in a converted pub on the corner of the Queensbridge & Richmond Roads. The owners have gone to town, decorating it with ancient Egyptian, Greek & Roman repro artifacts (including the lavatories) - so you might have a sphinx looking at you from a fireplace.
Their wide-ranging menu is the same for lunch as dinner - bar a price increase at 17.00 (see below), and draws on influences both Home, Europe & the Far East.
So amongst the starters 'Smoked Gammon Terrine Terrine' sits happily with 'Smoked Black Forest Ham with Pear & Mozzarella Salad' and 'Steamed Moules with Thai Green Curry'.
Whilst the mains might include 'Pork Fillet with Potato & Cauliflower Dauphinoise'; 'Beef Casserole with Bacon & Yorkshire Hat'; 'Baked Polenta Pie with Mixed Salad' and 'Poached Smoked Haddock with Mustard Mash, Curly Kale & Hollandaise Sauce'.
A few puds might include 'Dark Chocolate Tart with Raspberry Ice Cream'; 'Blackberry & Apple Crumble with Vanilla Ice Cream' and 'Sticky Toffee Pudding'.
You will dine listening to an operatic soundtrack.
- Food Style: Budget Restaurants - the best
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-23.00, Sun 12.00-22.30; mains £8.95 (until 19.00)
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 12.00-23.00, Sun 12.00-22.30; mains £10.95 (after 19.00)
- Wine: a concise list has firm mark-ups if you leave the straight and narrow.
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: London Fields Rail or Kingsland Dalston Underground
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page