Find this excellent restaurant of a former gentleman's club. Top chef Mark Greenaway. His adventurous style has added an extra dimension to the city's dining options.
Starters such as 'Pumpkin Soup with Quail Tortellini, Mushrooms, Confit Pumpkin & Toasted Seeds'; 'Potato Gnocchi with Young Leeks, Seasonal Mushrooms, Spinach & Truffle Oil' and 'Loch Fyne Crab Cannelloni, with Smoked Cauliflower Custard, Lemon Pearls, Herb Butter, Coriander & Beetroot Mayo' set the style.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Skate Wing Sous Vide, with Beetroot Purée, Olive Mash, Crispy Squid & Brown Butter'; 'Roasted & Poached Filet of Beef of Borders Beef, with Marrow Bone Beignets, Shallot Purée, Braised Beef Shin & Red Wine Jus' and 'A Tasting of Dornoch Lamb with Spinach Purée, Wilted Greens, Sprout Leaves, Rosemary Mash & Thyme Jus'.
There are also delicious puds with which to finish - you'll maybe find 'Manjari Chocolate Fondant with Vanilla Tuile, White Chocolate Mousse, Orange Caviar & Tonka Bean Ice Cream' or 'Broken Lemon Tart with Yuzu Parfait, Frozen Shortbread, Pistachio Purée, Compact Watermelon & Coconut Jelly' amongst their number.
Service is both professional and friendly.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Tues-Sat 12.00-15.00; set L £16.50 (2 courses), £20 (3 courses); mains between about £16 to £28
- Dinner: Tues-Sat 17.30-22.00; set L £16.50 (2 courses), £20 (3 courses); Tasting Menu £65.50; mains between about £16 to £28
- Seats: 70
- Wine: a well-chosen list kicks off at about £20.
- Nearest station: Edinburgh Waverley
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Closed: Sun, Mon, 2nd to 14th Jan
- Rooms available