One of the excellent small group of restaurants run by the Galvin brothers. It's named, and does homage to the world famous Northern Rhones wines of Hermitage La Chapelle. A sister less ambitious restaurant their 'Cafe a Vin' sits alongside.
As with their other restaurants, the menu has its roots firmly set in French traditions - but with a few modern influences.
Winter starters such as 'Pressed Guinea Fowl, Ham Hock & Foie Gras'; 'Salad of Roast Red Leg Partridge, French Beans, Quince Purée & Sauce Abats'; 'Escarbèche of Yellow Fin Tuna with Aubergine Purée & Herbs' and 'Périgord Truffle Risotto & Jerusalem Artichokes' set the style.
Maybe 'Roast Pavé of Cornish Sea Bass, Root Vegetable Barigoule & Charlotte Potatoes'; 'Magret of Corn-Fed Goosnagh Duck with Organic Beetroot, Crosnes & Chanterelles'; 'Tagine of Bresse Pigeon with Coucous, Aubergine Purée & Harissa Sauce' and 'Risotto of Wild Mushrooms with Walnuts & Celery' to follow.
'Tarte Tatin'; 'Chilled Valrhona Chocolate Fondant with Honeycomb & Tonka Bean Ice Cream' and the like might be there to tempt the sweet-tothed at the end; while cheese lovers have a good selection supplied by La Fromagerie (q.v.).
Service is slick, friendly & professional.
- Food Style: Modern French
- Lunch: Mon-Weds 12.00-14.00, Thurs-Sat 12.00-14.30, Sun 12.00-15.00; mains about £27 to £35; set L from £34 (2 courses); Tasting Menu £38.50); Menu Gourmand £85 (7 courses); set L Sun £38 (3 courses) - plus children's menu
- Dinner: Mon-Weds 18.00-21.30, Thurs-Sat 18.00-22.30, Sun & Bank Holidays 18.00-21.00; mains about £27 to £35; set D Mon-Sat 18.00-19.00 £34 (2 courses) - (18.00-19.00); Tasting Menu £38.50); Menu Gourmand £85 (7 courses)
- Seats: 100, plus about 25 outside
- Wine: an excellent, predominently-French, list kicks off at around the £30 mark, and offers some prestigious bottles
- Children's portions: Sunday Lunch Menu
- Wheelchair access: yes
- Nearest station: Liverpool Street Rail & Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: 25th & 26th Dec, 1st Jan
- Outside eating