Part of the Galvin brothers excellent little 'chain' of top-class eateries - this one acts as the junior partner to the next door Galvin La Chapelle, but although offering less ambitious dishes, it is still top-class in its own right.
A top-class bistro/brasserie-style menu seem to be the aim, while starters such as 'Escargots à la Bourguignonne'; 'Charcuterie maison with Celeriac Rémoulade & Cornichons'; 'Steak Tartare with Toasted Sourdough' and 'Partridge & Foie Gras Terrine, Pickled Quince & Toast' set the style.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Daube of Beef with Creamed Potatoes, Baby Onions & Lardons'; 'Stone Bass en Papillote with Ceps, Thyme, Spinach & Noilly Prat'; 'Char-Grilled Leg of Lamb with Swiss Chard, Tarbais Beans & Anchovy Dressing' and 'Bramata Polenta with Mixed Wild Mushrooms, Mascarpone & Parsley' amonst the mains.
There are also a selection of items, including Pissaladière, from their wood-fired oven.
Finish with Tart Tatin, Crème Brulée, Treacle Tart with Crème Fraiche & the like.
- Food Style: Bistro
- Lunch: all week 11.30-15.00 (Sun 11.30-21.30); set L from £16.50 (2 courses); mains about £17 to £20 – a less ambitious menu is offered throughout the afternoon; Sun L mains £16.50
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.00-22.30 (Sun 18.00-21.30); set D between 18.00-19.00 from £16.50 (2 courses); mains about £17 to £20
- Seats: 45, plus 60 outside
- Wine: an excellent list kicks off in the low £20's
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Liverpool Street Rail & Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: 25th & 26th Dec, 1st Jan
- Outside eating