Find this good and comfortable restaurant in the last London building designed by celebrated architect Sir Edwin Lutyens - it was built as the Reuters Headquarters. As well as a restaurant, it now houses a Bar and Members Club.
It's part of Sir Terence Conran's restaurant empire - and some of the family's private collection of artwork is displayed throughout the restaurant and club.
On the food front, the kitchen offers a menu that includes all the Conran classic's from Bibbendum & Pont de la Tour - namely, Fruits de Mers (as individual items, or as a Grand Plateau), Spit-Roast Chicken (certainly the best way to roast a bird) and Côte de Boeuf (to be shared).
These are the staples on which seasonal dishes are hung.
A winter menu brought 'Jerusalem Artichoke Soup'; 'Ballotine of Foie Gras'; 'Steak Tartare' and 'Soufflé Suisse' (cheese) amongst the starters.
'Calf's Liver, with Sauce Diable'; 'Roast Rabbit with Bacon & Mustard'; 'Roast Partridge with Chestnuts & Pancetta' and 'Gnocchi with Chanterelles & Sage' listed on the mains offerings.
There are also various good Salads if you'd like something lighter.
As would be expected, puds maintain the high standard - but don't suffer from the current trend of too many flavours & over elaboration - perhaps 'Tartes Fine aux Pommes'; 'Red Wine Pear with Cinnamon Ice Cream' and 'St. Emilion au Chocolat' - all having withstood the changing fashions of time more than successfully
On Friday evenings, they offer 50% off your total food bill! (as of March 2018)!
Service is stick & professional.
Excellent lighter lunches can be ordered from a Bar Menu; and Breakfast is served between 7.30 & 10.30.
- Food Style: French
- Lunch: Breakfast Mon-Fri 7.30-9.45 – Full English Breakfast £16.75; L Mon-Fri 12.00-15.00; mains about £28 to £40; set L £28 (2 courses), £32.50 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Mon-Fri 18.00-22.00; set D £34.50 (3 courses); mains about £29 to £40
- Seats: 130, plus about 20 outside
- Wine: an impressive list kicks off in the mid £30’s – prices are not for the faint hearted
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: City Thameslink Rail or Blackfriars Rail & Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: Sat, Sun, 24th Dec to 3rd Jan, Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating