A combination of smart brasserie-style restaurant and a less ambitious 'Counter' café/brasserie offering less ambitious dishes served from the counter. Here we concentrate on the former, but both offer high standards in what they set out to achieve.
The day starts with Breakfast, served until about 11.00, their menu ranging from top-quality pastries through cereals and porridge to a wide selection of cooked dishes.
The menu then expands into The All Day Menu, where you can have choose a one-course snack out indulge in a three-course meal.
Dishes change with the seasons, but Spring starters such as 'Mixed Beetroots with Honeyed Goats' Curd'; 'Eggs Benedict'; Oysters, various types of Caviar and 'Steak Tartare' set the style. Many dishes can be ordered in main-course helpings.
The list of main courses, is extensive, making choosing difficult, unless you already have something in mind; but fish dishes range from Kedgeree through Moules Frites to a Chargrilled Fish of the Day. There's a selection of various German-style sausages and schnitzels, plus 'Choucroute à l'Alsacienne'; 'Chargrilled Calf's Liver & Bacon' and various Steaks.
Each day also brings a 'Tagesteller' dish of the day - Monday being 'Chicken Curry', Tuesday 'Daube de Boeuf', Wednesday much recommended 'Braised Bath Chaps' etc - see their website for a full and up to date list.
Puds aren't forgotten with an impressive selection of Coupes - such as Banana Split - plus a seasonally-changing range of the Rhubarb & Custard Tart' and 'Pear & Blackcurrant Millefeuille' variety.
Service is slick, being both friendly and very professional - even when serving a glass of wine.
As well as the brasserie restaurant 'The Counter at The Delaunay', with a separate entrance, offers less ambitious café and brasserie-style dishes - keeping shorter hours.
- Food Style: Brasserie
- Lunch: Food Mon-Fri 7.00-23.30, Sat 8.00-23.30, Sun 11.00-22.30; All Day Carte Mon-Sat 11.30-23.30, Sun 11.30-22.30; All Day full Breakfast £16.50; mains about £13 to £33
- Dinner: Food Mon-Fri 7.00-23.30, Sat 8.00-23.30, Sun 11.00-22.30; All Day Carte Mon-Sat 11.30-23.30, Sun 11.30-22.30; All Day full Breakfast £16.50; mains about £13 to £33
- Seats: 175
- Wine: a carefully-chosen list is all offered by the glass, carafe or bottle the latter kicking off at around the £20 mark
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Holborn Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: 25th Dec
- Air conditioned