« back to restaurants search results
Banana Tree Canteen Angel412-416 St John Street, Islington, London, London, EC1V 4NJ
Part of a small chain describing its food as from IndoChina.
Although this must be taken rather tongue in cheek, as dishes wouldn't really be recognised in any particular country - the end result works well, and prices are very modest.
You'll find starters such as 'Thai Tamarind & Garlic Wings'; 'Thai Fish Cakes'; 'Malaysian Laksa Soup' and DIY 'Indo Pancake Wraps' - in Crispy Duck or Spiced Lamb varieties.
On the mains front dishes are divided between Wok Dishes (whose main ingredients flavour denotes the price), Regional Dishes, Curries & Stews and items from the Grill.
Popular choices being 'Chick & Prawn Kway Teow Mee'; 'Sweet & Sour Crisy Chicken'; 'Tamarind Spicy Aubergine Curry' and 'Char-Grilled Blackened Chili Beef'.
We recommend you add their 'Special Combo Supplement' to your chosen main, as it gives you a mixture of Sesame Glass Noodles, Sweet Corn Cakes, Spicy Crackers & Steamed Jasmine Rice for a modest surcharge.
Vegetarians have plenty of interesting choices.
A few puds such as 'Coconut Stuffed Green Thai Pancakes' and 'Banana Frotiteroles' are on hand to round off your meal, if you have a sweet tooth.
- Food Style: Pan Asian
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-23.00, Sun & Bank Holiday 12.00-22.30; Express L Mon-Fri 12.00-18.00, Weekends 12.00-17.00 from £7.95 (1 course), £10.95 (2 courses); mains about £10 to £16
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 12.00-23.00, Sun & Bank Holiday 12.00-22.30; mains about £10 to £16
- Seats: 126
- Wine: a concise list, plus beers
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Angel Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Air conditioned