A good foodie pub, where the enthusiasm of the kitchen is much in evidence.
You can eat in the bar or slightly more formally in their dedicated dining room.
Their food offerings range from snacks - such as 'Triple Cooked Chips'; 'Rare Breed Pork Scratchings with Apple & Vanilla Sauce' and 'Truffled, Ham/Egg & Cips - Scotch Egg' to full blown meals.
An autumn example listed 'Parsnip & Cider Soup'; 'Chicken Liver Parfait with Chestnut & Red Onion Jam' & 'Scallops with Honey Glazed Pork Belly, Samphire & Pear' amongst the starters.
'Roasted Cod with Ratte Potatoes, Heb Salad and Lemon & Caper Burnt Butter'; 'English Duck Breast and Confit Leg with Celeriac, Mulled Cabbage, Beetroot, Walnut & Blood Orange'; 'Whole Local Pigeon with Thyme Fondant Potatoes, Autumn Vegetables, Wild Mushrooms & Fig' and 'Salt Baked Onion, Beetroot Risotto and Autumn Vegetable Spaghetti & Truffle Honey' listed on the list of main courses.
Puds are hard to resist, with perhaps 'Assiette of Chocolate & Passion Fruit'; 'Coffee Pannacotta' and 'Lemon Meringue Pie' on offer.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: all week 12.00-15.00 (Sun 16.00); mains about £12 to £20; set L £13 (2 courses), £15 (3 courses); Sun Roasts from about £13
- Dinner: all week 18.00-21.00; mains about £12 to £20
- Seats: 36, plus about 43 outside
- Wine: a concise, but well-chosen, list kicks off at around £16
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Midgham Rail
- Directions: See the map on page
- Parking: Yes
- Outside eating