An excellent foodie pub, where the kitchen combines traditional pub dishes such as their own Burger, with a briche muffin, pickles & cheddar; Fish & Chips and Steak & Chips (with Triple-Cooked Chips) with more elaborate dishes.
For example, their Shepherds Pie comes with the twist of Crispy Sweetbreads.
You might find 'Soupe de Poisson - with rouille, gruyere & pumpkin sippets'; 'Bang Bang Chicken with Sesame Dressing, Chili, Cucumber & Coriander' and 'Bresaola with Caper & Shallot Dressing' on their list of starters.
'Pea Risotto, Poched Egg & Garlic Crumb'; 'Fillet of Brixham Grey Mullet, Chili, Ginger, Beansprouts & Bok Choi' and 'Sausage, Mashed Potato & Caramelised Onions' amongst the mains.
Puds such as 'Eton Mess'; 'Cherry Bakewell Tart' and 'Sherry Trifle with Lavender Custard' might be there to tempt you at the end.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.30 (Sun 15.30); set L £12 (2 courses), £15 (3 courses); mains about £14 to £29
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.30-21.30, Sun 17.30-21.00; set D Mon-Sat £15 (2 courses), £19 (3 courses); Sun Supper Menu £19 (3 courses)' mains £14 to £29
- Seats: 80, plus 30 outside
- Wine: a well chosen list kicks off at around the £17 mark, and has an excellent choice by the glass
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Cookham Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page.
- Parking: Yes
- Outside eating