A good foodie pub, where the kitchen combines traditional pub dishes such as their own Burger, with a brioche muffin, pickles & cheddar; Fish & Chips and Steak & Chips (with Triple-Cooked Chips) with more elaborate dishes.
You might find 'Gazpacho Andaluz'; 'Coriander-Cured Mackerel with Heritage Tomato Ceviche, Lemongrass Salad Cream & Coriander Cress'; ‘Crispy Cornish Squid with Pickled Ginger, Chorizo Crisps, Horseradish & Sweet Chili Dip’ and ‘Carpaccio of Beef with Quails Eggs, Pickles, Crispy Capers, Tarragon & Rocket’ on their summer list of starters.
Mains such as 'Courgette, Ricotta & Raisin Cannelloni with Courgette Flower, Tomato & Basil'; 'Line-Caught Pollack with Spiced Aubergine, Marinated Courgette, Dill Yoghurt, Lemon Balm Crumb & Lemon Oil'; ‘Pan-Roasted Merryfield Duck Breast with Pea & Mint Fricasée, Carrot Fondant & Pickled Black Radish’ and 'Roast Rump of Lamb with Jersey Royal Potatoes, Buttered Chard, Crispy Onions, Rosemary Mayonnaise & Lovage Sauce' – plus Steaks from the Grill - might follow.
Puds such as 'Toffee Crisp with Toasted Marshmallow & Nutella'; 'Carrot Cake with Cinnamon Glaze, Coriander & Yoghurt' and 'Lemon Posset with Italia Meringue, Rhubarb Turkish Delight & Honeycomb' might be there to tempt you at the end.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.30 (Sun 15.30); set L £13 (2 courses), £16 (3 courses); mains about £15 to £29
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.30-21.30, Sun 17.30-21.00; set D Mon-Sat £16 (2 courses), £19 (3 courses); Sun Supper Menu £19 (3 courses)'; mains £15 to £29
- Seats: 80, plus 30 outside
- Wine: a well chosen list kicks off at around the £17 mark, and has an excellent choice by the glass
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Cookham Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page.
- Parking: Yes
- Outside eating