Find this good restaurant - converted from a former watermill & blacksmiths - set by the river, in the beautiful grounds of The Newbury Manor Hotel. In fair weather, the restaurant's terrace is a hard spot to beat as a setting for al fresco dining!
On the food front, like most good restaurants, the menu follows the seasons with starters such as 'Pea & Mint Velouté with Ham Hock Ravioli & Truffle Oil'; 'Seared Scallops with Balsamic Glazed Pork Belly, Apple & Celeriac Rémoulade' and 'Open Butternut Squash Lasagne with Dressed Rocket Leaves' setting the style of a Spring menu.
Perhaps to be followed by the likes of 'Goosnargh Chicken Breast with Wild Mushroom & Tarragon Cannelloni & Truffle Jus'; 'Salt Marsh Lamb Cutlet with Creamed Polenta, Braised Shoulder, Fine Beans & Shallots'; 'Lobster Bolognese with Home-Made Tagliatelle & Parmesan Beurre Blanc' and 'Aged Sirloin Steak with Garlic Flat Mushrooms, Cnamp Potatoes & Béarnaise Sauce'.
Puds - such as 'Banana Frangipane Tart with Clotted Cream' maintain the high standard.
A Bar Menu offers sandwiches and lighter dishes; whilst barbecues are served every day if the weather permits (phone for details).
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.30 (all day dining for light meals), set L £14.95 (2 courses), £19 (3 courses); mains £14 to £22
- Dinner: all week 18.00-22.00, mains £14 to £22
- Seats: 48
- Wine: a well chosen list, has modest mark-ups
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Newbury Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Outside eating
- Rooms available