An excellent foodie pub, worth going out of your way to visit.
You can eat simply in the Bar - perhaps Sandwiches, Fish & Triple-Cooked Chips or Ale & Cider Braised Ham with Crispy Poached Egg, Pineapple Chutney & Chips' - or more seriously in their dedicated restaurant.
Starters on an autumn menu listed 'Celeriac Soup with Lovage Pesto'; 'Brown Crab, Cheddar & Chive Tart with Endive Salad'; 'Coriander & Lemon Grass Gravadlax with Fennel Salad' and 'Duck Liver & Foie Gras Parfait with Russet Apple & Vanilla Purée' amongst the half dozen offered.
'Poached Fillet of Cornish Hake with Crispy Ham, Spinach, Cucumber, Toasted Almonds & Sage'; 'Marinated Angus Rib Steak, Roast Garlic Mash, Roasted Mushrooms & Peppercorn Sauce'; 'Old Spot Chop with Crackling, Fondant Potato & Bramley Apple' and 'Autumn Squash with Carmargue Rice, Tomato & Parmesan' might follow.
Puds aren't to be missed - with possibly 'Valrhona Chocolate Brownie with Pistachio Ice Cream & Cherries' and 'Treacle Tart with Custard & Drunken Oranges' there to tempt you.
Service is both friendly & helpful.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Tues-Sun 12.00-14.30 (Sat & Sun 15.50); main courses about £15 to £25
- Dinner: Tues-Sat 18.30-21.00; mains about £15 to £25
- Seats: 36, plus 40 outside
- Wine: a well-chosen list kicks off at around the £18 mark
- Children's portions: short children's menu
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Seer Green Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: all Mon, 2 weeks Jan.
- Outside eating