Dating back to the mid 17th century, this pub draws customers in for it's good food from many miles around - although it is still proud of being the village local, offering pub games, such as bar billiards.
Ashort, seasonal, menu is offered in their restaurant - heavily influenced by the owners time working in France.
Starters such as 'Chicken & Brandy Terrine with Salad & Chutney'; 'Mushroom, Thyme & Goats Cheese Tartlet' and 'Scallops with Puy Lentils with a Provençale Dressing' set the set on a winter menu.
With perhaps 'Chicken Forestière' (breast stuffed with mushrooms & a brandy cream sauce); 'Roast Fillet of Lamb with a Redcurrant, Orange & Mint Sauce'; 'Slow-Roast Belly Pork with Sage & Onion Mash & Apple Cream Sauce'; 'Venison, Chestnut & Mushroom Pie' and 'Vegetable Strudel with Ale Sauce & New Potatoes' to follow.
Puds, such as 'Chocolate Brownie Gateau with Maple Pecan Ice Cream & Hot Chocolate Sauce' and 'Crème Catalane' (Catalan Crème Brulée) complete the picture.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon, Weds-Sun 12.00-14.30; mains about £15 to £24 – plus sandwiches & other light bar meals
- Dinner: Mon, Weds-Sat 19.00-21.00; mains about £15 to £24
- Wine: a concise list has modest mark-ups and is backed up by a good selection of wines by the glass from their 'Le Verre de Vin' system.
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Dullingham or Cambridge Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: closed all Mon, D Tues & Sun