Find this good buzzy restaurant and useful deli hard-by the old city walls.
The main menu changes each month, and comprises four choices at each stage - plus substantial snacks (such as Deli Tasting Plates) and sandwiches. Some, such as '½ Rotisserie Chichen with Chips' are so popular they've become perennials.
Starters such as 'Soup of the Day'; 'Bourne's Blue Cheshire with Poached Pear & Caramelised Walnut Salad'; 'Potted Salmon & Crab with Crispbreads' and 'Bury Black Pudding with Celeriac Rémoulade & Pickled Beetroot' set the style.
Perhaps to be followed by '7 hour-Braised Ox Cheek with Carrot & Sweet Purée, Stir-Fried Sprouts & Chestnuts'; 'Chick Pea, Spinach & Cauliflower Curry with Star Anise Rice'; and 'Smoked Haddock, Jerusalem Artichoke, Leek & Butter Bean Gratin' on the list of mains.
Puds - such as 'Sticky Toffee with Toffee Sauce & Vanilla Ice Cream' and 'Chocolate Brownie with Chocolate Sauce' complete the picture.
The in-house deli, offers both produce from the kitchen and other top-quality items from around the world - the coffee being particularly-popular.
- Food Style: Modern European
- Lunch: Tues & Weds 9.00-17.00, Thurs-Sat 9.00-23.30, Sun 10.00-17.00; mains about £11 to £19; set L Sun £20 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Thurs-Sat 9.00-23.30, Sun 10.00-17.00; mains about £11 to £19
- Seats: 40, plus about 14 outside
- Wine: a well chosen list, offering a good selection by the glass, kicks off at around the £18 mark
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Chester Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: all Mon, 25th Dec-Jan 1st
- Outside eating