A good family-run foodie pub with rooms, which has devloped a strong following - so booking is advised for restaurant area.
You can eat snacks and light meals in the bar - these might include 'Goujons of Fish with Tartare Sauce'; 'Ham Hock Terrine with Piccalilli, Toast & Butter' and 'Pork & Damson Pie' and these are offered for much of the day (see below).
More substantial restaurant meals might include 'Poached Pear & Blue Cheese Salad'; 'Pan-Fried Chicken Livers & Chestnut Mushrooms on Toasted Brioche' and 'Beetroot Gravadlax with Horseradish Cream & Orange' amongst the starters.
Perhaps 'Fish & Chips'; 'Belly of British Saddleback Pork, slow-roasted for 6 hours, Apple Purée, Savoy Cabbage & Mustard Mash'; 'Vegetable Pithivier with Stilton, Braised Red Cabbage & Mashed Potato'; 'Pan-Fried Duck Breast, cooked pink, with Braised Fennel, Orange, Spinach & Fondant Potatoes' and '21 day aged 10oz Sirloin Steak with Peppercorn Sauce, Handcut Chips, Onion Rings, Watercress, Tomato & Mushroom' to follow.
Puds, such as 'Sticky Toffee Pudding with Double Jersey Cream & Toffee Sauce'; 'Dark Chocolate Torte with Orange' and 'Pannacotta with Poached Fruit' might be there to tempt you at the end.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Tues-Sun 12.00-14.30, mains about £12 to £15; light dishes served between 12.00-22.00; set L Sun 12.00-14.30 £13.95 (1 course), £18.45 (2 courses), £22.95 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Tues-Sun 18.00-22.00; set D £28.95 (2 courses), £33.95 (3 courses); plus lighter bar dishes
- Seats: 36
- Wine: a well chosen list kicks off at around the £20 mark
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: all Mon, except for light bar dishes
- Rooms available