Find this smart panelled restaurant in the luxurious Armathwaite Hall Hotel, which enjoys splendid views over Bassenthwaite Lake from it's northern extremity - and is to be found in its own deer park.
The kitchen offers a concise menu of well-sourced traditional dishes - this isn't the place for you if you seek ground-breaking cuisine - just good honest food, and proper service.
Starters such as 'Chicken Liver Parfait with Grape & Apple Chutney & Sour Dough Toast'; 'Goats Cheese & Pine Nut Terrine with Beetroot Purée & Micro Herb Salad'; 'Ham Hock Terrine with Mustard Dressing' and 'Pan-Seared Red Mullet with Piperade & Basil Oil Dressing' set the style.
To be followed by the likes of 'Roast of the Day - perhaps Fell Bred Lamn, infused with Garlic & Rosemary'; 'Seared Fillet of Sea Bass with Risotto and Lobster & Brandy Bisque'; 'Crispy Belly of Pork with Black Pudding, Scallops, Apple Purée & Apple Foam' and 'Flambé of Duckling with Stir-Fried Vegetables, Sweet Chili Sauce, Fried Rice & Spring Roll'.
'Apple Crumble with Custard & Cinnamon Ice Cream'; 'Dark Chocolate Marquis with Chocolate Sauce' and 'Warm Carrot Cake with Sweet Carrot Purée and Rum & Raisin Ice Cream' - plus a selection of English Farmhouse Cheeses might tempt you at the end.
You can also eat well, and less formerly in the hotel's all-day Brasserie - which offers an interesting modern menu.
Smart dress only, strictly no jeans, t shirts or trainers.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Mon-Sat set L £18.95 (2 courses), £22.95 (3 courses); set L Sun £22.95 (3 courses); Brasserie mains about £12 to £19
- Dinner: all week 19.30-21.00; set D £46.95; all-day Brasserie mains about £12 to £19
- Seats: 80
- Wine: a well-chosen list has modest mark-ups
- Children's portions: Children's helping are available when possible between 19.30 & 20.00
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Rooms available