Find this good restaurant in a beamed conservatory-style dining room of this comfortable hotel, which is handily-places for both Carlisle and the countryside around Hadrian's Wall.
The menu offers tempting dishes for both plain eaters and the more adventurous with perhaps the likes of 'Soup of the Day - Roast Butternut Squash & Parmesan on a recent menu'; 'Chicken Caesar Salad'; 'Prawn & Crayfish Cocktail'; 'Smoked Trout with Lemon Crème Fraiche, Mustard & Pickled Cucumber' and 'Pan-Seared Breast of Pigeon with Foie Gras, Beetroot & Spinach' on the list of starters.
Perhaps 'Wild Mushroom & Spinach with Parmesan & White Truffle Oil; 'Pan-Fried Breast of Guinea Fowl with Wild Mushrooms & Pancetta on Toast, Dressed Leaves & Herb Oil'; 'Roasted Cod Fillet with Peas, Braised Baby Gem, Silver Skin Onions & Confit Potatoes'; 'Dry-Aged Smoked Ribeye of Beef with Artichoke, Red Onion, Sundried Tomato & Rocket' and 'Lakeland Rump & Liver of Lamb with Provencal Vegetables & Olive Purée' amongst the mains.
Finish with the likes of 'Dark Chocolate Torte with Berry Compote'; 'Bread & Butter Pudding with Orange Compote & Crème Anglaise' or 'Apple Tart with Jus of Granny Smith & Vanilla Ice Cream'
Lighter meals and sandwiches are offered in the hotels pub 'Waltons'.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.30-14.00, Sun 12.00-14.00; set L £15.95 (2 courses), £18.50 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 19.00-21.30, Sun 19.00-20.45; set D £27.95 (2 courses), £29.95 (3 courses)
- Seats: 80
- Wine: a concise, but well-chosen, list has modest mark-ups
- Children's portions: Children's Menu
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Wetheral Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: L Sat
- Rooms available