An excellent brasserie, set over two floors - under the same ownership as Arbutus & Wild Honey. The idea was to create the atmosphere of an establishment on the Boulevard Montparnasse in Paris - and this larely succeeds - although here the food might be better, and certainly better value, especially if you settle for their set menu.
On the food front, expect dishes such as 'Celeriac, Apple & Bacon Soup'; 'Shrimp Cocktail'; 'Rock Oysters'; 'Smoked & Fresh Salmon Rillettes with Toasted Sourdough' and 'Foie Gras Terrine' to feature on a winter menu.
Perhaps tpo be followed by 'Slow-Cooked Shoulder of Welsh Lamb'; 'Fish Pie'; Calf's Liver with Smoked Bacon & Sage' plus Salads & various Steaks from the Grill.
Each day also brings a Plats Du Jour - for example Monday 'Grilled Merguez Sausages'; Tuesday 'Grilled Market Fish'; Wedsnesday 'Lapin à la Moutarde' etc. - and Sunday a Roast of the Day.
Classical puds - such as 'Crème Brulée'; 'Warm Spiced Pear & Almond Tart' and 'Rice Pudding with Jam' might be there to tempt you at the end.
It should be added that their selection of cheese is too good to miss!
- Food Style: Brasserie
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-23.00, Sun 11.00-18.00; Restaurant set L 12.00-15.00 Mon-Sat £26 (2 courses), £29.50 (3 courses); mains about £15 to £29; set L Sun £from £26 (2 courses)
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 12.00-23.00, Sun 11.00-18.00; Pre Theatre Menuin Bistro £12.75 (2 courses) Mon-Sat 16.00-18.00 £17 (2 courses), £20 (3 courses); mains about £17 to £35
- Seats: 150
- Wine: a well-chosen list, based in France, offers good value - plus a wide choice of 250cl carafes + bottles from about £20
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Charing Cross Rail & Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page