Describing itself as a restaurant & wine bar inspired by the neighbourhood restaurants of France. We feel a certain amount of romance takes place here, as France - in practice - so often disappoints. Don't expect comfortable trimmings - more fashionable distress.
A winter snapshot menu here might include 'Heritage Carrots with Cumin & Coriander'; 'Chicken Liver Terrine with Cornichons'; 'Roast Shallots with Goats Cheese & Mint'; 'Salame Toscano' and 'Foie Gras au Sel' amongst the starters.
Perhaps 'Pan-Roasted Duck Breast with Blood Orange & Anise'; 'Grilled Hanger Steak with Horseradish & Greens'; 'Plaice with Capers & Rosemary'; 'Wild Rabbit Ragu with Polenta'; 'Seven-Hour-Cooked Lamb' and 'Risotto with Wild Mushrooms' listed on the mains.
Simple, but good, puds, such as 'Mandarin Jelly'; 'Buttermilk Pudding with Rhubarb' and 'Rum Baba' complete the food picture.
With modest prices, and excellent simple dishes, you can image queues for tables are inevitable - but we believe they now take bookings at certain times - so phone!
- Food Style: Bistro
- Lunch: all week 12.00-15.00; mains about £9 to £21 – plus Bar Menu
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.00-22.30; mains about £9 to £21
- Seats: 60, plus about 4 outside
- Wine: they offer a constantly changing short list from artisan producers kicking off at around the £25 mark
- Nearest station: Tottenham Court Road Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: 25th & 26th Dec.
- Outside eating