Describing itself as a 'contemporary bistro', this 2011 opening by Jason Atherton has turned more than a few heads for the excellence of its food - it's amongst the countries finest!
Their set lunch, if you can get a table, is a particular bargain - although you can also eat in a civilised fashion at the non-bookable bar.
The seasonally-changing menu offered combines a mix of the adventurous with safe dishes not to frighten away city suits and the like.
A summer snapshot brought 'Escabeche of Quail with Chicken Liver Cream'; 'Pressed Tête de Porc, Rabbit & Foie Gras, Piccalilli & Mustard Gel'; 'Light-Cured Shetland Salmon with Avocado, Smoked Herring Roe Cream' and 'Innes Farm Goats Curd, Beetroot &Pine Nuts' among the starters.
'Roast Cod with Broad Beans, Peas, Cockles & Squid with a Parsley Emulsion'; 'Roasted Dingley Dell Pork Belly & Loin with Apple, Curly Kale, Mulled Brambles & Cob Nut Paste'; 'Rack of Cotswold Lamb with Braised Shoulder, Creamed Spiced Aubergines & Black Olive Reduction' and 'Black Angus Aged Beef with Duck Fat Chips & Green Salad' listed amongst the mains.
Puds range from just that - 'Traditional English Rice Pudding' (but even that has the addition of Hay Ice Cream & Lime Jelly); through the ever-popular 'Tiramisu' to the likes of 'Candied Beetroot with Macerated Yellow Peaches, Sweet Carrot Granita & Tarragon Ice Cream'.
Expect top-class service, all round, including advice from an excellent sommelier.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-14.30; set L £26 (2 courses), £30 (3 courses); mains about £16 to £38
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.00-22.30; mains around £16 to £38; Tasting Menu £85 (7 courses)
- Seats: 0
- Wine: an impressive list offers some prestigious bottles and kicks off in the mid £20's. There is a good choice on offer by the glass, but with meagre 125cl measures prices are firm
- Children's portions: No children after 20.00 hours
- Nearest station: Oxford Circus Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: all Sun, 25th & 26th Dec, 1st & 2nd Jan, most Bank Holidays