An excellent eaterie, inspired by the wine bars of Spain and Italy - run by enthusiasts - and part of a small chain. The package includes a Wine Shop.
Tables are in high demand, so expect to wait at peak periods. However, if you have the time this is worthwhile as their seasonally-changing menu gives most bistro-style restaurants let alone wine bars, a lesson.
An early spring snapshot brought 'Steamed Mussels with Chili, Capers & Croûtons'; 'Lambs Sweetbreads with Peas, Roast Shallots & Muscatel'; 'Cured Beef Fillet & Horseradish' and 'Selection of Spanish Cured Meats with Almonds & Olives' among the mains.
'Brixham Pollock with Baby Fennel, Capers & Brown Butter'; 'Devon Duck Breast with Puy Lentils & Rosti Hispi'; 'Braised Lamb Shoulder with New Season Garlic & Turnips'; 'Roast Cauliflower with Pearl Barley Risotto & Shallot Crisps' and 'Roast Rump of Beef with Duck Fat Potatoes & Yorkshire Pudding' listed among the mains.
Desserts are also seasonal, but 'Plum Tart Fine with Crème Fraiche Ice Cream'; 'Lemon Posset with Blueberries & Shortbread' and Almond Cake with Poached Greengages & Mascarpone' set the style.
Friendly and efficient service.
- Lunch: all week 12.00-15.00 (Sun 16.00); mains about £10 to £18
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.00-22.00; mains about £10 to £18
- Seats: 60, plus about 6 outside
- Wine: an impressive list travels the world, kicking off about £16
- Nearest station: Marble Arch Underground
- Directions: See the map at the top of this page
- Closed: D Sun, 25th Dec to 1st Jan.
- Outside eating