A good foodie pub in the shadow of Parliament Hill.
Winter starters such as 'Curried Parsnip Soup & White Onion Bhaji'; 'Char-Grilled Ox Heart with Cheltenham Beets & Bone Marrow'; 'Pan-Fried Cornfed Chicken Livers with Chestnut Pappardelle, Parmesan & Sage'; 'Beef Tartare' (also offered as a main) and 'Homemade Charcuterie Board - duck prosciutto, ham hock terrine, chicken liver parfait, duck rilletes, pigs head, pickles & toast' (to share) set the robust style.
Perhaps 'Chicken & Ham Pie with Mash'; 'Beer-Battered Haddock with Pea Purée, Chips & Tartare Sauce'; 'Fresh Macaroni with Wild Mushrooms, Chestnuts & Parmesan'; 'Roast Cornish Cod with Herb Gnocchi, Oxtail Ragout, Monksbeard & Pan Juices' and 'Dedham Vale Onglet with Garlic Butter, Chips & Mixed Leaves' on the list of mains.
If you have a sweet tooth, you might find 'Apple Crumble' or 'Chocolate Mousse' there to tempt you.
Their Sunday lunches are particularly popular - so booking essential.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.00-15.00, Sat & Sun 12.30-16.00; mains about £15 to £25
- Dinner: Mon-Sat-18.30-22.00, Sun (Quiz Night) 18.45-21.00; mains about £15 to £25
- Seats: 45, plus about 30 outside
- Wine: a well-chosen list kicks off at around the £20 mark
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Tufnell Park or Kentish Town Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: 24th & 25th Dec
- Outside eating