This comfortable, family-run, hotel houses a smart restaurant – which is worth visiting in it's own right.
The kitchen has built up a good network of local suppliers, and these are used wisely to create seasonal menus.
A summer snapshot brought 'Seared Bay Scallops with Crab Risotto & Langoustine Foam'; 'Sous Vide Loin & Leg of Rabbit with Spiced Carrot & Vanilla Foam' and 'Mango & Blue Cheese Tart with Toasted Pine Nuts & Balsamic Dressing' (also offered as a main course) – amongst the starters.
'Ravioli of Spinach & Wild Mushroom with Tomato Fondue, Rocket & Parmesan Crisp'; 'Lamb Rump with Minted Pea & Broad Bean Cassoulet, Baby Fondants Potatoes & Rosemary Jus'; 'Pan-Seared Sea Bream with Vanilla-Scented Squash & Spiced Clams' – plus a variety of Steaks etc. from the Grill.
Perhaps finish with 'Warm Chocolate Fondant with Sugar-Glazed Banana & Crème Anglaise'; 'Blueberry & Passion Fruit Cheesecake with Mini Passion Fruit Jellies' or their selection of British Cheeses.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.00; Mon-Sat set L £12.50 (2 courses), £15 (3 courses); set L Sun £18.50 (3 courses); mains about £10 to £27
- Dinner: all week 19.00-21.30; set D Mon-Thurs £20 (2 courses), £25 (3 courses); Fri-Sun £27.50 (3 courses); mains about £10 to £27
- Seats: 70
- Wine: a well-chosen list has fair mark-ups
- Children's portions: when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Chester Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Rooms available